XTC® Official Rules
EXTREME TECH CHALLENGE COMPETITION OFFICIAL RULES
Last Updated: June 27, 2019
If you entered the contest prior to June 27, 2019, please review these rules carefully, as they have changed.
No purchase necessary to enter or win. Void where prohibited. The Extreme Tech Challenge Competition (“Competition”) is organized and operated by Extreme Tech Challenge, a California non-profit corporation (“XTC”).
Eligibility. Any company is eligible to participate in the Competition if it satisfies all of the following criteria:
- The company has developed, or is in the process of developing, (i) a product or service based on a new or innovative technology, or (ii) an innovative application of an existing technology developed by the company;
- The company's product or service developed or under development by the company has the potential to address one of the Seventeen (17) United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (“SDGs”);
- The company has no restrictions on future funding based on the funding received by the company as of the date of submission of the Entry (defined below in Section 3)
- The company (i) is legally incorporated in any Eligible Country (listed below), (ii) is not incorporated in any Excluded Country (listed below), and (iii) does not have any subsidiaries or affiliates located or incorporated in any Excluded Country
- The company complies with all the terms of these Official Rules.
- The company and its officers, directors, managers and employees are not be subject to sanctions in the United States or listed on the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List or the Office of Foreign Assets Control Sanctions Lists, which may be found here.
- The company and its officers, directors and managers are not be affiliated with XTC, any Competition Partner (listed below), or any agency assisting with Competition promotional or organizational activities.
- The company (i) is legally incorporated in any Eligible Country (listed below), (ii) is not incorporated in any Excluded Country (listed below), and (iii) does not have any subsidiaries or affiliates located or incorporated in any Excluded Country.
- a. At least one company founder or executive is a legal resident of an Eligible Country, and at least 18 years of age at the time of entry into the Competition.
Eligible Countries. Each of the following is an Eligible Country: United States, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Croatia, Curacao, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kosovo, Latvia, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malaysia, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, St. Vincent & Grenadines, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine (excluding Crimea), United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela, Vietnam and Zambia.
Excluded Countries. Each of the following is an Excluded Country: Crimea – Region of Ukraine, Cuba, Iran, North Korea (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea), Sudan and Syria.
If the company is legally incorporated in a country that is neither an Eligible Country nor an Excluded Country, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org identifying the country of incorporation for further determination of whether your company is eligible to participate.
Competition Partners are the companies and individuals identified here.
- When and How to Enter the Competition. XTC will accept Entries between May 16, 2019, at 09:00 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time and March 31, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time. Submit Entries via the application portal on XTC’s website at https://extremetechchallenge.org.
Competition Entry Requirements. Each participating company (“Entrant”) must complete and submit a Competition application that complies with all the terms of these Official Rules (“Entry”). Submit Entries via the application portal located on XTC’s website at https://extremetechchallenge.org and include the following:
- An Entrant pitch video (uploaded in the format specified in the application portal) of no more than five (5) minute that includes response to all of the questions below:
- How is Entrant addressing the SDGs that Entrant has selected? Explain the problem and Entrant’s solution.
- What is Entrant’s product or service?
- How will Entrant’s company have a big impact on the SDGs?
- What is Entrant’s competitive advantage?
- Who are Entrant’s competitors?
- How do the experience and background of Entrant’s leadership team and other team members relate to Entrant’s product or service?
- A short, written document outlining additional aspects of Entrant’s business, including addressing all of the questions below. The written document should be no more than two (2) pages, with 2.5 cm/1 inch margins, and at least a 10 point font size.
- What is the market need for your product or service?
- Who will buy your product and why will they pay for it?
- What is the overall size of your target market?
- What is your Go-To-Market (GTM) plan?
- What is your business model?
- How will your product or service generate revenue and profit?
- What are your expected financials for the next three (3) years? In a table, please provide a summary of your 3-year financial model, including funding requirements.
- How is your product or service defensible? For example, do you possess any patents, specific trade secrets, or a unique approach related to your solution?
- A short (approximately ½ page) written executive summary that is not confidential.
- Entrant’s company information, including state or country of incorporation, type of corporate entity, date of incorporation, office location, and primary contact information;
- Founder and key team member information;
- A description of any and all financing that Entrant has received as of the date of submission of Entry; and
- A description of any publicity or press Entrant has received as of the date of submission of Entry and links to any such publicity or press.
Selection of Winners and Prizes.
- Ten (10) Entrants (each a “Winner,” collectively “Winners”) will be selected by the Competition Judges based on the criteria specified in Section 3 these Official Rules.
- All ten (10) Winners will be eligible to pitch their companies to a panel of investors for the opportunity to receive potential investments, one-on-one mentoring sessions, seminars and other networking opportunities. The terms of any investments will be separately negotiated by each Winner and the potential investor. Entrant is free to enter into business relationships with potential investors at Entrant’s sole discretion. No such business relationship is required in order to participate in the Competition or be selected as a Winner.
- Early Entrants that are identified as top submissions based on their Entry may be eligible to participate in additional one-on-one mentoring sessions, seminars and networking events with knowledgeable entrepreneurs and investors. Entrant is not required to participate in these events in order to participate in the Competition or be selected as a Winner.
- Winners may not substitute, barter, transfer or assign any prize or opportunities.
- Winners will be selected based on the Competition Judges’ assessment of (i) Entrant’s ability to impact the SDGs; (ii) the quality and thoroughness of Entrant’s video submission and other Entry materials; and (iii) the long-term viability of Entrant’s product or service.
- Winners will be required to confirm in writing their agreement to these Official Rules and Eligibility when notified of their selection, and representatives of each Winner must confirm in writing their agreement to the publicity terms of these Official Rules.
- The Competition Judges will be a diverse group of highly experienced technologists, investors, academics and industry experts with experience and expertise in evaluating startup companies, technology, and products and services, and their potential impact in support of the SDGs.
- Entrants are solely responsible for any expenses incurred to participate in the Competition. XTC, Competition Judges and Competition Partners will have no responsibility for any Entrant’s costs and expenses related to the Competition. Entrants also are solely responsible for any taxes, tariffs or other applicable governmental charges from any federal, state or local authority that may be due as a result of winning a prize or obtaining any opportunities as a result of the Competition. All Entrants should seek independent advice regarding tax and other liabilities associated with winning a prize or receiving other benefits as a result of the Competition.
- Notifying the Winners / Claiming a Prize. XTC will notify the ten (10) Winners by email, using the email address provided in the Entry, on or about April 20, 2020. If a Winner does not respond and provide the required confirmations within seven (7) days of notification, is found ineligible, or does not comply with these Official Rules, such Entry may be disqualified by XTC, in its sole discretion, and the Competition Judges will select a replacement Winner.
Competition Entry Restrictions. A Competition Entry will not:
- Infringe or otherwise violate the intellectual property rights of any third party, including copyrights, moral rights, patents, trademarks, design rights, trade secrets and rights of publicity;
- Disclose or rely upon the confidential or proprietary information of a third party without appropriate written permission;
- Contain libelous, defamatory, disparaging or unlawful content;
- Invade the privacy or right of publicity rights of any person (living or deceased), or otherwise infringe upon a third party’s personal or proprietary rights;
- Violate any laws or regulations;
- Include sexually explicit subject matter;
- Depict or inspire violence, weapons or dangerous stunts;
- Depict discrimination, bigotry, harm or hatred;
- Promote activities that are illegal in the Entrant’s home country; or
- Conflict with the United Nations SDGs.
The above list is not exhaustive. XTC may disqualify any Entry if the Entry includes content that XTC, in its sole discretion, deems unsuitable for this Competition. XTC may reject or disqualify any Entry at any time, in its sole discretion, without incurring any liability.
Confidentiality. XTC agrees that it will treat the non-public information in each Entry as the confidential information of Entrant. XTC will not disclose the non-public information in an Entry to any third party without the prior written consent of Entrant, unless XTC is required by law, court order, or legal process to do so, including but not limited to a court or governmental subpoena. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Entrant understands and agrees that XTC may disclose Entrant’s entire Entry to XTC’s Competition Partners, Competition Judges, and professional, financial and similar advisors; provided that such other persons or firms are bound by agreement or law not to further disclose such confidential information to any third party. Entrant also understands and agrees that XTC is not required to treat as confidential any portion of Entrant’s confidential information in the Entry that (i) was disclosed to XTC without obligation of confidentiality; (ii) becomes publicly available through no fault of XTC; or (iii) that XTC develops without reference to Entrant’s to Entrant’s confidentiality.
Representations. Each Entrant represents and warrants that:
- It meets the Eligibility Requirements listed in Section 1;
- Its Entry is wholly original, factually accurate to the best of Entrant’s knowledge, and is Entrant’s own creation;
- The individuals acting on Entrant’s behalf in connection with the Competition have the authority to do so; and
- It is the sole owner of all rights relating to its Entry, or has obtained all necessary rights, including all copyrights, moral rights, patents, trademarks, design rights, trade secrets and rights of publicity, for access to and use of the Entry by XTC, Competition Judges and Competition Partners in connection with the Competition or otherwise as contemplated in these Official Rules.
- Indemnification. Each Entrant agrees to indemnify and hold XTC harmless from any and all liability resulting from or arising from XTC’s use of any Entry.
- Publicity. Each Entrant irrevocably agrees that, if it is identified as a Winner, its company name and a non-confidential description of its Entry may be publicized in whole or in part, or not at all, on XTC’s website and through other marketing channels worldwide. In addition, Entrant will identify at least one (1) representative who will confirm the representative’s irrevocable agreement to allow XTC to use the individual’s name, likeness, voice, image, photo or video worldwide for any purpose and in any manner in connection with the Competition or future Extreme Tech Challenge competitions or in furtherance of XTC’s mission, without compensation, notice or further consent.
General Terms and Conditions.
- Rules. Entrants agree that XTC has the sole right to establish and change the Official Rules and the operation of the Competition or award of prizes at any time and without notice or liability.
- Entry Disclaimers. XTC will not be responsible or liable for any incomplete upload of any Entry, and/or for any misdirected or invalid Entries due to transmission errors or corrupted data files, including without limitation, interruption or inability to access XTC’s website, problems with internet connectivity, firewalls, virus protection software or hardware devices, and/or Entries that are late, destroyed, lost, stolen, misdirected, tampered with, incomplete, deleted, or not in compliance with these Official Rules.
- Use of Entry. No Entries will be returned to Entrants. Except as expressly provided in these Official Rules, Entrant retains all rights to its Entry. Subject to the confidentiality obligations in these Official Rules, Entrant hereby grants XTC a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty free, transferable, sublicensable, perpetual and irrevocable license to copy, display, perform, distribute, create derivative works and otherwise use its Entry for any purpose related to the Competition, future Extreme Tech Challenge competitions, or any other XTC-related purpose. Entrant further acknowledges and agrees that Competition Judges and Competition Partners will have access to and may retain copies of its Entry.
- Void Where Prohibited. Notwithstanding the list of Eligible Countries, if this Competition is deemed unlawful in any country, all entries from such country will be void, as determined by XTC.
- Damage or Disruption. Any attempt to deliberately damage the Competition website, defraud XTC, or Competition Judges, or tamper with or undermine the legitimate operations of the Competition or XTC may be a violation of civil and/or criminal laws, and responsible persons may be prosecuted or sued to the full extent permitted by law and will not be eligible for a prize or to be a Winner.
- Liability Waiver and Release. Entrant agrees that XTC, Competition Judges, Competition Partners and anyone acting on behalf of XTC or the Competition in any way (“Released Parties”) will have no responsibility or liability (including, but not limited to, liability for any property loss, damage, personal injury or death, as well as claims based on publicity rights, defamation, and/or invasion of privacy) in connection with this Competition, including participation or the acceptance, receipt, possession, misuse, nonuse or use of any prize or opportunity (or portion thereof); or any damage to Entrant’s (or any third person’s) computer and/or its contents related to or resulting from any part of Competition; even if caused by the negligence of the Released Parties. Entrant acknowledges that the Released Parties have wide access to ideas and that new ideas are frequently submitted to them or are being developed by their employees, including ideas that may be competitive with Entrant’s business. Entrant agrees that it will not be entitled to any compensation as a result of any Released Entity’s use of material that is similar or identical to its Entry. Entrant hereby waives all rights to claim irreparable injury, equitable relief, direct, indirect, punitive, incidental and/or consequential damages, attorney fees or any damages other than actual out-of-pocket costs incurred to enter the Competition. In no event will the Released Parties’ aggregate liability under these Official Rules or in any way in connection with the Competition exceed U.S. $100. Entrants agree to release all rights to bring any claim, action, or proceeding against the Released Parties.
- Choice of Law. These Official Rules will be interpreted under the laws of the state of California, U.S., and controlling U.S. federal law. Choice of law rules of any jurisdiction and the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods will not apply to any dispute under these Official Rules.
- Dispute Resolution. If Entrant has any dispute regarding the Competition, Entrant must first give XTC an opportunity to resolve the dispute by sending a written description of the dispute to XTC at email@example.com. XTC and Entrant will negotiate Entrant’s dispute in good faith. If the dispute is not resolved within sixty (60) days after XTC acknowledges receipt of Entrant’s description of its dispute, Entrant may pursue arbitration as described below.
- Binding Arbitration. Except as provided below and to the extent permitted by law, XTC and Entrant (each a “Party” and together the “Parties”) agree that any dispute relating to the Competition that are not resolved by the dispute resolution process above may be resolved by binding arbitration to be held in the county of Santa Clara, California, in accordance with the Commercial Rules then in effect of the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”). The Parties will mutually agree on a single arbitrator. If the Parties cannot mutually agree, the arbitrator will be appointed by the AAA. The arbitrator may grant injunctions or other relief in such dispute or controversy. The decision of the arbitrator will be final, conclusive and binding on the parties to the arbitration. Judgment may be entered on the arbitrator’s decision in any court of competent jurisdiction. The Party that does not prevail will pay all of the costs and expenses of such arbitration, and each Party will separately pay its respective counsel fees and expenses. The arbitrator will not have the power to award damages in excess of the limitation on actual compensatory, direct damages listed in these Official Rules and may not multiply actual damages or award punitive damages or any other damages that are specifically excluded under these Official Rules, and each Party hereby irrevocably waives any claim to such damages.
- List of Winners. For a list of Winners, please contact XTC at firstname.lastname@example.org.